In my last post, I took you all on the journey to getting our dream home. As you could see from those photos, the house needed a LOT of work!
In this post, I’m going to share some of the photos we took just before we moved in. They were taken about a week or so before. There was work still going on, but it was almost ready for us. I wish I’d taken more photos really, both before and after. We were just so focussed on just getting it though!
Looking a lot better, with a fire surround we found in the house painted black. Coving all sorted, plaster sorted and all painted white… (I should say, the plaster throughout the house was re-done, coving and ceilings re-done and the whole house was painted white)…
…which was slightly better than the ‘library’ it was before.
The attic room was now a guest bedroom with en-suite. The hot water tank was removed, all was plastered and painted white…
…looking a little better than before:
The stairs down from the attic to the first floor no longer felt like they were going to fall through, which was good!
The other spare room felt light and airy
…an improvement on this:
The first floor hallway:
…leading down then to the ground floor. All the windows on the front of the house were brand new…hand crafted by joiners at the property company that renovated and owned the house before us. This was because the previous owner had illegally put uPVC windows in (something that’s not allowed in a listed building). We were ecstatic when we saw them, they opened beautifully and smoothly.
Take a look at the ground floor hallway…
…a little better than it was:
The kitchen was a massive change. The empty dark room was transformed with a custom-built-for-us units and brand new cooker. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was that the gorgeous stone in the cavernous fireplace had been covered with brick slips. I understood why they had done it, it made it match with the bottom and look a lot neater…but it was a bit too neat for me. We’re planning to see if we can take those brick slips back off sometime in the future.
(don’t forget to look back at that previous blog post to see the embedded panoramic photos…especially to see how awful the kitchen was before)
The kitchen felt so light and airy now compared to the dark room it was…mostly due to the property company’s design ideas. They opened out the internal doors to double doors, which helped bring light in from the ground floor hallway and they also opened out the single window into a double window. They did the work so beautifully and although it was a lot of money extra to pay them, it was totally worth every penny. We trusted their ideas and were very glad we did.
You’ll notice I don’t include many photos of the outside of the house. This is intentional…I realised that I didn’t really want the address to be very clear, just for privacy reasons really. It’s a very recognisable house with unique features, so I wanted to keep those photos off the blog. Probably irrational, but I just prefer to be a bit more private in terms of location.
The living room was now looking smart and lovely, with the French windows completely renovated with beautiful brass locking systems.
The utility room was one of the biggest transformations, from a very ramshackle bodged one big room…to a utility room and downstairs toilet:
Even being reminded of the before from this room makes me shiver!
They had added outside lights (from Dowsing & Reynolds, naturally!) which looked really smart….
…and had partly done the driveway (which we finished after we moved in). Sadly the garden still was a total mess, even more than it was before in those previous photos. Well, it gave us a project!
The only bit I didn’t have before and after photos for were the cellars. There wasn’t that much of a change to the look, it was more where the new (expensive) pump went for the water pressure and all the new electrics (the house was completely rewired).
All that was left was for us to get our furniture in, order flooring and carpets, get an alarm fitted, sort the gardens out…and make the place our own.
….oh, and get gas! I keep forgetting that! We had no gas when we moved in (the gas board delayed things). March was pretty damn cold too! Electric blankets and electric blow heaters were our saviours.
More to come on how we continued with the house renovation.